Sportsman dying through accident or at a lower age is always a tragic incident to observe. In many cases, the death of a sportsman turns out to be a national mourning day. Throughout history, there happened some tragic incidents causing the death of many renowned sportsmen, making us stunned and pathetic.
If we talk about golf, the death of Payne Stewart by a plane crash in October 1999 is one of the tragic incidents that still make people mourn.
if you are interested in finding out the list of the golfers who have died pathetically, making the whole golfing world mourn over, here is the list of the top 8 golfers that would astound you-
Number one: Payne Stewart
The death of Payne Stewart is one of the most stirring and pathetic incidents that has ever happened in golf.
- The incident took place on October 25, 1999, when Stewart was flying from Orlando to Texas.
- The jet plane had faced a serious loss of air pressure, allowing the pilot to have no control over the plane.
- But the plane continued running for several hours on auto-pilot mode.
- There were four passengers, including Payne Stewart, along with two pilots inside the plane.
- After several hours of running on the auto-pilot mode, the plane crashed, at last, to an open field of south Dacoda, killing all the members inside the plane.
Number two: Justin Riegel
The most recent accident that took away another life of a golfer is the catastrophic storm of the last year’s June. The name of the golfer was Justin Riegel. He was a PGA professional.
- The incident took place on June 3, 2020, when there was a catastrophic storm blowing on.
- Justin was trying to bring back his golf cart from the rain to the Philadelphia course.
- At that time, a sudden thunderstorm killed Justin Riegel in place.
- Many organizations and individuals tried to help Justin’s family because of the unprecedented event.
- At the time of death, he was only 38 years old.
Number three: Pam Barton
Can you imagine a woman golfer dying in a plane crash that is also in 1943?
- Pam Barton volunteered when the Second World War began.
- She was an ambulance driver at first and later was promoted to a member of the women’s air force.
- On November 13, 1943, a plane crash killed her at the spot.
- Pam Barton won both the British Ladies amateur and U.S women’s amateur in the same year.
- At the time of her death, she was only 26 years old.
Number four: Douglas Edgar
Douglas Edgar was a prominent golfer during the 1990s. He won both the French Open and Canadian open, showing his skill.
- It was 8th august in 1921 when Douglas was found to create a deep wound to his thigh.
- The reason for the wound was never known.
- The bleeding from the wound caused his death.
- He was never taken to the hospital.
- Though the reason for the wound is never known, it is assumed that he was killed for the extra-terrestrial affair with a woman.
Number five: Willie Anderson
Another death that stunned the golfing industry during the 1900s is the death of Willie Anderson, a prominent golfer at that time. He won both U.S Open and Western Open. He won the U.S open fourth time in five years.
- The death of Willie Anderson is not popularly known.
- He had a bad temper of drinking that people believe caused his death.
- The reason behind his death is probably epilepsy or heart failure.
- At the time of death, Willie Anderson was only 31 years old.
Number six: Celia BarquinArozamena
Another recent incident that stunned the world was the death of Celia BarquinArozamena on September 17, 2018. Though the golfing career of Celia Barquin was not that long, she won the European amateur tournament and participated in the U.S Open.
- On September 17, 2018, a stranger suddenly came into the course where Celia was practicing.
- The stranger stabbed Celia with a sharp knife multiple times that caused her to death on spot.
- At the time of death, Celia was only 22 years old.
- Mysteriously, the killer of Celia is still missing.
Number seven: Tony Lema
Tony Lema is another prominent golfer who was the victim of a tragic plane crash. The popularity of Tony Lema was over the moon.
- Lema was a star of the PGA tour.
- He won 12 PGA tour titles in a row.
- After the 1966 PGA championship, Lema was boarding from Ohio to Illinois, along with his family.
- The jet was running out of fuel and crashed a mile before the airport.
- All of his family members died in that plane crash.
- Coincidentally, the crash took place on a water-hazard of a golf course.
Number eight: Seve Ballesteros
We will finish the tragic list by describing Seve Ballesteros who is considered one of the most handsome golfers of all time. The death of Seve Ballesteros stirred the whole golfing world.
- During his whole lifetime, Seve passed an envious career.
- He won every title possible in his shorter career.
- Throughout his whole career, he won Majors, Masters, and British Open.
- In 2008, it was found that he had developed a brain tumor, which is uncurable.
- On May 7, 2011, this handsome golfer died, making the whole world cry.
- At the time of death, Ballesteros was 54 years old.
Some other names worth mentioning
Death is always a part of life. Men are born to die. But dying at an early age is more painful. Throughout history, there have been many incidents of people dying accidentally. Here is the list of some other golfers who died at a very unexpected age.
- Erica Blasberg (suicide; at the age of 25)
- Heather Farr (breast cancer; at the age of 28)
- Young Tom Morris (pulmonary hemorrhage; at the age of 24)
- Ed ‘Porky’ Oliver (Cancer; at the age of 45)
- Donald Swaelens (Cancer; at the age of 39)
Death is never an unprecedented event. It is always certain. But when someone dies too young, it creates a long-lasting impact on the mind. All these incidents discussed here are such examples that have stirred the whole golfing world at least for a certain time.