Golf tees may not seem an essential instrument to consider, but while teeing off the golf ball from the tee spot, a right-sized or right-material tee can make a massive contribution. The use of the golf tee is nothing new to wonder about. Since the beginning of the 14th century, players have been using a golf tee to make a convenient driving stroke. If you are looking for a convenient tee to make an excellent tee off stroke, these are the things to consider-
Golf tees sizes
One of the essential aspects to consider while choosing a tee for teeing off is the size of the tee. There are three possible sizes available that you would notice. These are-
- Smaller( 2.75 inches).
- Medium( 3.25 inches).
- Larger( 4 inches).
Which size of the tee is suitable for which club?
Smaller tee (2.75 inches)
Instead of a driver, if you love teeing off the ball with a fairway wood, hybrid, or iron, you should go with the 2.75 inches tee. This kind of tee tends to remain just a little above the ground, allowing you to strike conveniently with your wood, hybrid, or long iron clubs.
Medium tee (3.25 inches
Although a medium tee is suitable for hitting with the driver, many golfers prefer hitting a medium tee with their fairway wood as well. If you want maximum distance while teeing off the ball, using a medium tee with the driver should be ideal. It depends on your preference as well. If you feel like you are doing okay with the combination of wood and medium tee, surely you should go with that combination. It is all about finding the balance.
Larger tee( 4 inches)
While a medium tee is suitable both for the driver and fairway wood, a larger tee should always be suitable for the driver only. When you are hitting with the driver, the tee requires to have a larger head to co-operate with the driver. These are the most popular kinds of tees that you would notice on the tee spot.
Material of the tees
Other than the size of the tee, the material of the tee also plays an important role to demonstrate the distance you should get while teeing off the ball. In general, there three possible materials available that you would notice on a golf tee. These are-
- Wooden tees
- Plastic tees
- Rubberized tees
- The shaft of a wooden tee will be narrower, and the head of the tee tends to be circular. Because of their eccentric construction, wooden tees are far easier to teeing off.
- Wooden tees are suitable for the driver with a larger clubhead. Besides, using them with longer irons and fairway wood is also pretty common nowadays.
- You would notice wooden tee in all possible sizes, including smaller to the larger one. Even an extra-large wooden tee is also noticeable for the driver. In general, wooden tees are available from 2.75 inches to 4.25 inches.
- Wooden tees, in general, tend to be white. A complete polished wooden color is also noticeable for a wooden tee. Besides, you may also notice multiple-colored wooden tees that have counterfeit colors on the body.
- Plastic tees are the most frequently used tees on the tee spot area. In fact, these tees are surpassing the wooden tees in competition. Most golfers love using a plastic tee because of its cheaper price and long-lasting durability.
- The shaft of a plastic tee is quite similar to a wooden tee, whereas the head of the tee will be more like an extended cup. The extended cup shape of the head allows the tee to grab the ball in position for a convenient stroke.
- Plastic tees are available from 2.75 inches to 4 inches. You will get to choose a plastic tee, depending on the type of golf club you are using for teeing off the ball.
- Most of the time, plastic tees come with multi-colored variations. You will get to choose these tee in every possible color.
- Rubberized tees are not the most common kinds of a tee. This kind of tee will come as an envelope on a plastic or wooden tee.
- Players who are having a tough time placing the golf ball on the head of the tee can be benefitted by using a rubberized tee.
- These tees are also available in every possible size and color imaginable.
Special types of tees
A regular shaped tee may not serve in the best way all the time. Depending on several circumstances, the shape of the tee tends to change as well. The three most common special types of golf tees are-
- Brush tee
- Anti-slice tee, &
- Friction-free tee.
- As the construction material, a brush tee will be thoroughly plastic.
- On the head of the tee, there will have a brush bristle to support the ball.
- Using a brush bristle tee will enable players to take the ball to a great distance by minimizing the friction and resistance capacity.
- Besides, you will be able to use them again and again until they are lost.
- Anti-slice tees are most common for amateur golfers.
- As the name suggests, anti-slice tees help golfers by keeping the golf ball in place instead of sliding off.
- As the construction material, this kind of tee will use plastic. The rounded cup on the back of the tee will support the ball dexterously, allowing every player to make an excellent swing.
- Friction-less tees are also another variety of plastic made tee.
- This kind of tee produces almost zero friction so that teeing off the ball from the tee becomes much easier. As a result, the player can expect to get a longer distance.
- Instead of a circular or extended cup, this kind of tee will have dots on the supporting center to produce less friction.
What golf tees should you use?
One of the most common questions that every golf coach has to endure while teaching their student is the type of tee that they should be using. The answer is it depends.
- If you are playing in a professional tournament, you will not be able to use a tee that is above 4 inches. According to the USGA, the tee size can not exceed 4 inches.
- Now if you are fluctuating between medium or large tee size, consider the club you are using. For a beginners driver with a larger club head, using a 4 inches tee should be ideal. If you are using a fairway wood, consider choosing the medium tee size.
- The final thing you can do to find out whether you should go with a smaller or larger tee is trying out more tees while practicing. It's always about finding out what suits you the best.
Golf tees play an important role in determining the distance you should get. That is why it becomes essential picking up the right-sized and type of tee. One of the ways to find out what suits you the best is by trying out more. Practice with all sizes and types of tee before you decide your preferred type.