You can always use marine batteries in your golf cart, but you cannot expect the same efficiency all the time. Marine batteries are specially designed for installing on the boats, whereas golf cart batteries are for installing on your electronic cart.
Switching between these two types of batteries will indeed save some of your bucks, but the replacement cost is going to be higher. If you ask any professional whether you should install marine batteries on your cart or not, the final answer will always be a big no. Come on, being able to slap a kid should not mean you can pat them all the time. You demand an opponent according to your strength. In that case, golf cart batteries are the appropriate choice for your cart.
Before you make the final decision, let us first learn about these two types of batteries to learn about their availability-
What are the differences between a marine battery and a golf cart battery?
Golf cart battery
Golf cart batteries use a larger plate to store energy.
Marine batteries use a heavy spongy plate to store energy.
Golf cart batteries do not demand frequent charging.
Marine batteries demand frequent charging.
Golf cart batteries can withstand higher temperatures.
Marine batteries can not withstand higher temperatures.
The discharge rate of a golf cart battery is around 80% percent.
The discharge rate of a marine battery is around 50% percent.
Golf cart batteries produce a smaller amount of amperage over a long period.
Marine batteries produce a thrust of energy at the beginning.
Golf cart batteries come with lightweight construction.
Marine batteries come with heavy-duty construction.
Golf cart batteries are suitable for motorized vehicles.
Marine batteries are suitable for boats.
Why you should not use a marine battery in your golf cart?
To make a battery system of 36-volt, you need six 6-volt golf cart batteries. You can do the same task with three 12-volt marine batteries. That means you are saving more bucks with the marine batteries. Why should not install marine batteries in your golf cart then? Here are the top five reasons-
- Golf cart batteries tend to be more energy-efficient than marine batteries. You will get better service with golf cart batteries.
- Marine batteries are designed for boats. They will not ensure productivity in a motorized vehicle.
- Marine batteries will run out of energy too fast, making you stagnant on the course.
- Golf cart batteries will withstand more temperatures than marine batteries.
- Some internal functions of your golf cart may not work fitly with the marine batteries.
What is a marine battery?
A marine battery is a regular deep cycle battery that comes with a heavier plate design. People also know them as cranking marine batteries. The purpose of this kind of battery is to produce a high amount of amperage for a shorter time so that you can make a cranking start.
The heavier design with a robust construction allows them to withstand the vibration while riding on the water. Here are some of the most common characteristics that you can expect from a marine battery-
- Marine batteries use heavier sponge plates to produce the exact amount of amperage.
- You need to charge them frequently. Batteries are always storage devices. They store electricity to use when in need. Marine batteries can produce a thrust of energy at the beginning. But they can't store electricity for a long time. As a result, one needs to charge a marine battery so often.
- Marine batteries tend to be heavier, making them suitable for use in boats or marine purposes.
- Most of the time, you will get a marine battery in 12-volt variation.
- Marine batteries cannot withstand high temperatures. While charging, you need to maintain a decent environment to keep the battery safe from deterioration.
- The internal plate of a marine battery is not that big, allowing the device to save less energy but to produce a thrust of energy while starting. As a result, they tend to run out of energy so often. Whenever you get the opportunity, you need to connect them with the cart charger to ensure efficient energy.
- Most of the marine batteries come with a 50% discharge rate, allowing them to be less efficient for motorized vehicles. At the same time, they can be more efficient for marine vehicles. Marine vehicles demand a robust of energy while starting. Once they get the thrust, they can run with a small amount of energy.
What is a golf cart battery?
A golf cart battery is a deep cycle battery that uses a more substantial but thinner plate to produce energy for a sustained period. The extended base allows the batteries to store energy for a long time to let your motorized device run. The common types of golf cart batteries you would notice on the market are flooded lead-acid, AGM, Gel-lead acid, lithium-ion batteries, and the like. Here are some of the primary characteristics that you can expect from a golf cart battery-
- Golf cart batteries use larger plates, allowing them to store more energy. As a result, one can expect to get a continuous overflow of energy for a long time.
- Golf cart batteries do not demand charging now and then. A fully charged golf cart battery will allow you to run on an 18-hole course without facing any trouble. The run time would be much higher than the regular deep cycle batteries.
- Golf cart batteries are not that heavier. The construction of a golf cart battery allows them to be lighter than the regular deep cycle batteries.
- Most of the time, a golf cart battery comes in 6-volt variations. You need to use six 6-volt batteries to create a system of 36-volt. Besides, golf cart batteries are also available in 8-volt and 12-volt variations. You need to allocate them in the correct order to make your desired function.
- Golf cart batteries are suitable for charging at a high temperature. The internal mechanism allows them to withstand a higher temperature. That is why they are convenient for the golf carts.
- The discharge rate of golf cart batteries will be around 80% percent, allowing them to store currents for a long time. As a result, you get continuous current output to run a long time with a one-time charge. These batteries produce a smaller amount of current over a long time.
- Golf cart batteries are more stable than a regular deep cycle battery.
Only saving your bucks will not ensure productivity. You can always install marine batteries in your golf cart, but you can’t expect the same efficiency all the time. Besides, marine batteries may deteriorate the internal functionality of your trusty cart.