One of the great things about having a good quality motor and controller in your golf cart is that you get to speed up your cart and control the speed anytime you want. After a long time of use, the motor and controller may start producing high heat, making your cart vulnerable. That is when you need to think about upgrading the motor and the controller of the cart.
While the motor only works on the highest battery usage or speed production, the controller ensures thermal protection, acceleration rate, and throttle mapping. That is why having a good quality controller along with a motor is more than necessary.
To help you to get the best speed golf cart motor and speed controllers for various types of available brands, we have added here the seven best golf cart motors and controllers that are worth choosing from. In case you are thinking about upgrading your cart or installing a new motor or controller, think about considering our list.
Here is the shortlist of all the motor and controllers that we have gathered here-
What are the types of a golf cart motor?
A golf cart motor, in general, is available in two different types. The first kind of golf cart motor is popularly known as Series motor and the second kind is the SePex motor.
Series motor : To make it oversimplified, this kind of motor uses the same power sources for feeding the field and armature windings.
SePex motor : On contrary to the series motor, this kind of motor will have a separate field and armature windings power source. SePex motors, in the context of the modern-day, tend to produce some greater benefits when it is about control over a series motor.
On the other hand, depending on the types of carts you have, a golf cart motor can be categorized as an electric golf cart motor and a gas-powered golf cart motor.
Again, depending on the good battery power supply production, a golf cart motor can come with functionality of 36-volt, 48-volt, and 72-volt.
Best golf cart motor
Best series motor
D&D 170-010-0002 Golf Cart Motor for EZ-GO and Yamaha all series
14 MPH speed and 30% torque production rate.
For EZGO/Yamaha G9, G14, G16
Performance Plus Carts EZGO/Yamaha motor
36-volt functionality and better speed rate.
Best EZ-GO full set
D&D Golf Cart Motors - EZGO Motor & Controller for mainly Speed
Moderate increment in the speed and torque rate.
Admiral MOT-B1 Golf Cart Motor E-Z-GO Series
With an 8 hp production rate and 18mph speed rate, this one is ideal for an increment in your EZ-GO series carts.
Club Car series.
D&D Golf Cart Motors - Club Car Motors (Series) - 170-002-0002-19 MPH
This motor will produce a 10% more torque rate and up to 19 mph speed.
Best controller for EZ-GO Medalistand TXT models.
Golf Cart Controller 25864G09, 36v for EZGO
This one has a five-pin connector and 36-volt functionality.
Yamaha G-29 Golf Carts.
D&D Alltrax Controller - Yamaha G29 Golf Cart Controller
With 36/48 volt functionality and maximum speed and torque capacity, this one is the best in this category.
1. D&D 170-010-0002 Golf Cart Motor for EZ-GO and Yamaha all series
To get the highest leverage of speed with your EZ-GO and Yamaha golf cart for the model of 1992 and later, this 170-010-0002model motor from D & D should be a great item to pick up. With your Yamaha and EZ-GO cart, this one will provide around 14 MPH speed, making your riding experience enjoyable, even in the rustic environment. This motor mostly focuses on torque production, allowing you to get maximum speed and control at the same time. This one is estimated to produce a 30% more torque rate. This one is a series motor that is compatible with any 36 and 48 Volt DC production.
- Brand: D & D.
- Type: Motor.
- Speed production: 14 MPH.
- Torque: 30%.
- This one is compatible with any 36 and 48 Volt DC production.
- Series motor.
2. Performance Plus Carts EZGO/Yamaha motor
This one is another series type motor from Performance Plus for EZ-GO and Yamaha G series golf carts ( G9, G14, G16). This is a 2 hp series motor that would produce the maximum mileage for your golf cart. This motor is mostly suitable for those who are aiming to get better speed with their golf cart. This essential motor is compatible with the 36-volt functionality. In case you have any DCS or PDS car, this one won't be suitable for you.
- Brand: Performance Plus.
- Type: Series motor.
- 2 hp production.
- This motor is compatible with the 36-volt functionality.
- This one is designed for ensuring proper speed mileage.
- This electric motor is not suitable for DCS or PDS car.
3. D&D Golf Cart Motors - EZGO Motor & Controller for mainly Speed
This particular package from D & D includes both a motor and a controller to ensure maximum productivity for any models’ EZ-GO carts. You will get to choose this package from three different options. The motor of this package mostly focuses on speed. The controller, on the other hand, will ensure that you get perfect control over the cart. This package is compatible with any EZ-GO DCS cart, and with Yamaha G19, G22, and G29 models. If you are looking for a motor and controller that would enable you to get a moderate speed and torque increment, you can think about choosing this one for better convenience.
- Brand: D & D
- Speed: 18-24 MPH.
- Torque: +20%
- This package includes both a motor and a controller.
- The motor mostly focuses on speed increment.
- This one is compatible with any EZ-GO DCS cart, and with Yamaha G19, G22, and G29 models.
4. Admiral MOT-B1 Golf Cart Motor E-Z-GO Series
This one from EV Drives is another great series of golf cart motors that you can try for your EZ-GO series golf cart. If you are looking for an increment in your cart’s speed, this one can bring forth excellent help. This MOT-B1 motor is supposed to provide up to 18 mph speed mileage for better convenience both on and off the course. With the 8 hp of production rate, this one is compatible with any 36-volt DC series carts. Finally, this one is also a series type motor to try out for your EZ-GO series carts.
- Brand: EV Drives
- Types: Series motor.
- Speed rate: up to 18 mph.
- Production rate: 8 HP.
- This motor is also suitable if you are looking for an increment in your cart’s speed.
- This motor is compatible with any EZ-GO series carts.
5. D&D Golf Cart Motors - Club Car Motors (Series) - 170-002-0002-19 MPH
For all the Club Car series cart users, if you are looking for a quality motor to upgrade your cart for better enhancement of speed, you can think about choosing this item from D & D. This 170-002-0002-19 series motor is compatible with any 36-volt or 48-volt functionality. This motor will produce 10% more torque and up to 19mph speed so that you can have better speed and control both on and off the course. This one is available in 8 different varieties to choose from.
- Brand: D & D.
- Type: Series Motor.
- Torque: 10% more.
- Speed: 19mph
- This motor is compatible with any 36-volt and 48-volt functionality.
- You will get to choose from 8 different options.
6. Golf Cart Controller 25864G09, 36v for EZGO
This one from GolfRama is an individual controller for any 36-volt EZ-GO Medalist and TXT model carts. This particular item is a five-pin connector. If you are thinking about upgrading your cart for having better control over the speed, this one should be worth choosing. Another thing you need to keep in mind is that this one will not be compatible with any Drive Control System or Precision Drive System.
- Brand: GolfRama.
- This controller is compatible with any 36-volt functionality.
- This item has a five-pin connector.
- This controller is compatible with EZ-GO Medalist and TXT model carts.
- This one will not suit any Drive Control System or Precision Drive System.
7. D&D Alltrax Controller - Yamaha G29 Golf Cart Controller (for Yamaha)
If you have a Yamaha G29, this controller from D&D probably would serve you in the best way possible. This controller is compatible with any 36-volt and 48-volt functionality.This controller is the best in this categorywith over 20-22 mph speed and 20% more torque capacity. Besides, the highest thermal capabilities with extreme control efficiency should make you content to a great extent. Finally, the economical feature should make the controller worth choosing for your Yamaha G29 cart.
- Brand: D&D.
- This controller is compatible with any 36-volt and 48-volt functionality.
- This controller will help to get 20-22 mph speed and 20% more torque capacity.
- This controller will provide the highest thermal capabilities and controlling efficiency.
- This controller is compatible with any Yamaha G29 cart.
How to test a golf cart motor?
You may need to test a golf cart motor to find out whether it is worth using again or you need to think about a replacement. Besides, replacing the controller also requires you to test the motor. These are the easiest ways to follow-
You will need a multimeter tester to find out whether your motor is working fluently or not.
The first thing you need to do is labeling all the cables connected to the motor and the motor itself with the corresponding labeling.
On the next step, set the multimeter to continuity tester.
If the tester provides an audible beep sound, your golf cart motor is fine without any kind of short. On the other hand, if you do not hear any kind of audible beep sound, probably you need to check out the motor.
How to upgrade a golf cart motor?
When you start producing more voltage and amperage through the controller, you can end up deteriorating the motor condition by producing more heat. To ensure moderate speed and speed controlling features, sometimes, it becomes necessary to upgrade the motor of your golf cart. In case you are thinking about upgrading yours, here is what you need to have-
- A lifting kit may help to lift up the cart while doing the upgrade.
- Socket to remove the wheel.
- New motors.
- The first thing you need to do is removing the driver's side wheel. Pick up the right-sized socket to remove the wheel. Removing the wheel will give you access to the motor.
- The next workshop is on the battery compartment. Take the right-sized wrench to remove the negative part of the battery. It does not actually matter what you choose to remove. Remove any part to ensure that the cart does not have any power source.
- Up next, remove the four nuts on top of the motor to remove specific cables. This step is crucial because you need to add the same cable to the same compartment while adding the new motor. In case you are confused, think about taking a picture or labeling them to remember.
- Take a right-sized socket and go underneath the cart to remove the transaxle that holds the motor. Remember that there will have three bolts to remove.
- Take some snips and cut the speed sensor cable up as close as possible so that you can rewire the new motor later. After cutting the cable, it's time to remove the motor off.
- Now is the time to install the new motor. To do so reverse the process.
One thing you need to understand is that upgrading a new motor is not the easiest DIY process that you would be able to complete without having any previous experience. If you are not sure what you are doing, it would be ideal to take professionals' advice or help before undergoing the process.
How much does a golf cart motor cost?
A golf cart motor would cost around 450 dollars to as much as 1500 dollars.
In case you are thinking about purchasing a used or rebuilt motor from various sources, you may find a motor with a lower price than expected.
Short buying guides
Choosing a good quality motor requires many considerations. Looking at the speed capacity is one of them. Many people think about replacing their motor to get a moderate speed. In case you are thinking about upgrading your cart with a new motor, make sure the cart has a moderate speed capacity. Choosing between 14-20 MPH should be ideal in that case.
If you don’t know what torque is, then simply know that it is the force that keeps the motor running. Choosing a decent torque rate while choosing your cart's motor is always an important aspect to consider. Make sure you are looking at the torque production of the motor.
Many manufacturers bring forth different motors and controllers for various models of carts. Either you have an EZ-GO, Club Car, or Yamaha, make sure you are choosing a motor or controller that is compatible with the cart you have.
Series or SePex
Another thing you might look at while purchasing a new motor and controller is either the motor is a series type or a SePex type. Not all types of motors are going to be compatible with your cart. You have to make sure the type you are choosing completely matches with the cart you have.
The final thing you need to ensure is the price of the motor and controller. While ensuring the price, it is essential to look at the quality first. Don’t compromise with the quality for the sake of the price. Choosing a poor item for the sake of the price can cost a high price in the long run. That is why it is essential making an ideal and wise choice.
A decent quality motor and controller allows you to get a moderate speed and control both on and off the course. That is why it is always essential to choose a quality motor and controller for your golf cart. If you are having a tough time finding out the best option, consider choosing from our list. We can assure you that you would love the experience to a great extent.