Believe it or not, most golf carts from the same manufacturer have the same keys, making the keys totally universal.
That means if you and your neighbor are using golf carts from the same manufacturer, both of you will be able to replace the cart keys with one another without facing any trouble at all. Seems shocking?
Well, there's many more to come. Stay tuned till the last.
EZ-GO golf cart keys
As mentioned above, golf carts from the same manufacturer have the same keys. Is it true for all EZ-GO golf carts? Here are the facts that you need to know-
- If you own any EZ-GO gas/electric golf carts from 1976 to the present day, the keys should be the same.
- The replacement key for all EZ-GO gas/electric golf carts is 17063G1.
- If you have an RXV model gas/electric golf cart from EZ-GO, the old key may not comply with the cart.
- Most of the EZ-GO RXV golf carts will comply with the 2008 and up gas/electric models.
- The replacement key number for all RXV model golf carts is 606993.
Club Car golf cart keys
Club car is another most popular golf cart manufacturers. The most popular golf cart models from Club Car are DS and precedent.
- If you own a golf cart from Club Car, then the statement in the introduction is completely true for all club car DS and Precedent models.
- All the Club Car DS and Precedent model golf carts from 1982 to the present day have the same replacement key.
- If you are having an older club car edition, you may need to replace the ignition switch and key with the newer edition.
Yamaha golf cart keys
We will not disappoint the Yamaha golf cart users as well. Here are the facts about all Yamaha golf carts-
- All the Yamaha golf cart possesses two different universal keys for its respective models.
- If you are a Yamaha golf cart user, you probably know that Yamaha golf carts are available in G1 to G-29 models.
- All Yamaha golf carts from G-1 to G-11 will have the same kind of replacement key. On the other hand, all Yamaha golf carts from G-14 to G-29 will have the same replacement key.
Why most golf carts have the same key?
This question is one of the most common queries regarding golf carts that most people all over the internet would like to know.
The reason behind this is completely uncertain. As golf carts are designed only to maneuver on the golf course, manufacturers did not give that much attention to building a particular key for every individual cart.
As being a low-speed and neighborhood vehicle, the necessity of having an individual replacement key is not that much important as well.
Benefits of having a universal golf car key
As most golf carts possess a universal golf cart key, there are certain benefits of having a universal key as well. Some of the facts are-
- When, by any chance, you lose your golf cart key, replacing the key creates a little problem at all. You always can think about replacing your lost key with any key available from the same manufacturer.
- In a time of emergency, even your neighbor with the same manufacturer’s cart can help you out.
- A single key can be used in multiple carts.
Can you start a golf cart without keys?
Well, starting the golf cart without a key is not conventional. But there appears some time when you don’t have enough options left to turn the golf cart on with a key. If you are facing some problems with the key of the golf cart, there are actually three different ways that you can follow to start a golf cart without a key.
The first and easiest method among all the three is the screw-driver method. If you own a cart, you probably are familiar with this approach. If not, here are what you need to do to start your golf cart without any key using the screw-driver method-
- The only thing that you would require to complete the procedure is a screwdriver that has a flat head.
- The next step is turning on your ignition switch. Without turning the ignition switch on, you will not be able to start the engine.
- Make sure there is no dirt or debris on the ignition switch. Having so can be the reason for the explosion.
- The next step is inserting the screwdriver into the switch and turn the driver until the cart starts.
If you have very little knowledge regarding the technical part of the cart, this is the easiest method that you can think about doing to start the cart without having a key.
Hot-wiring the cart
If the first method does not work out, this is the next approach that you can take to start the engine without using a key. These are procedures that you need to complete to hot-wire the cart-
- To complete the screw-driver method the ignition switch needs to be turned on, whereas while hot-wiring the cart, you need to turn the ignition switch off to minimize the risk.
- Find out the location of the wires inside the ignition switch and cut them off by using an appropriate tool.
- The next step is making contact with the wires to send the power in the engine through the ignition switch.
- It may require multiple trying before the engine actually starts. Do it until you get the expected results.
- Once the engine starts, wrap the wires by using appropriate tape.
- Be aware that you are not making any huge problems while hot-wiring the cart.
Replacing the ignition switch
The last and final step that you can undertake to avoid any hassle while starting your cart is replacing the ignition switch with a convenient item.
This is the safest approach that you can make if you don’t want to take any risk at all.
Replacing the ignition switch will not cost you a moderate budget. Spending just a few dollars should enable you to complete the procedure.
Being a low-speed vehicle, a golf cart key is not that important factor to consider. Now that golf carts are more prone to be taken off the course, the fact is getting more serious. It should be the right time for all the golf cart manufacturers to think about producing individual keys for the individual cart. Doing so should make the cart more appealing to its consumer.